The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The new, all-inclusive Emergency App from the American Red Cross provides people with instant access to emergency alerts, life-saving information, and ways to contact family and friends in one free, easy-to-use app for smart phones and tablets.
The Emergency App is a single ‘go-to’ source for everything from home fires to hurricanes. It includes content from a group of award-winning Red Cross apps with additional information about what to do in case of 14 different types of emergencies and disasters. Users can customize more than 35 emergency alerts based on their location and where loved ones live.
The app includes a new featured called “Family Safe” that allows the app user to notify loved ones who are in an area affected by an emergency or disaster. The recipient can instantly see the alert details as well as specific “what to do now” steps, and then respond with either “I’m safe” or “I’m not safe.” This feature works even if the recipient has not downloaded the Emergency App. In addition to smartphones and tablets, this feature is available on the new Apple Watch and can be downloaded from the Apple Watch App Store.
Other important features include:
• Emergency first aid information for situations such as heart attacks, heat-related emergencies as well as water safety information;
• Preloaded content so users can access guidance from Red Cross experts even without mobile connectivity;
• A single map with open Red Cross shelter locations and weather information;
• A home fire section with detailed prevention and safety tips as well as Red Cross “After the Fire” information;
• “Make a Plan” feature to help families plan what to do and where to go if a disaster strikes; and
• The ability to easily toggle between English and Spanish.
The app is available for FREE in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/apps.