Cold Weather Means Increased Fire Hazards
With the bitter cold weather that has moved into the Mid-South comes added home-fire hazards. Here are some tips to help you stay safe as you stay warm and snug in your home.
- Never use a cook stove or oven to heat your home.
- If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away — things like paper, clothing, bedding, curtains, or rugs.
- Turn off stove and heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
- Prepare ahead of time for possible power outage by obtaining battery powered lighting and extra batteries. Do not use candles.
- Install smoke detectors or make sure those that are installed are working properly. They save lives in the event of a fire.
Home fires are the number one disaster in Mid-South area. Last year the American Red Cross of the Mid-South aided 835 families whose homes were destroyed or heavily damaged by fire. More fire safety tips from the American Red Cross.